Dr. J. A. Neufeld
Lecturer, BP Institute, Earth Sciences and DAMTP
Royal Society University Research Fellow
Fellow of St. Catharine's College
- 1997 - 2001 B.A.Sc. Engineering Science: Physics, University of Toronto
- 2001 - 2002 M.Sc. Geophysics, University of Toronto
- 2002 - 2004 M.Phil. Geophysics, Yale University
- 2004 - 2008 Ph.D. Geophysics, Yale University
- 2007 - 2009 Post-doc Institute of Theoretical Geophysics, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 2009 - 2011 Leverhulme Early Career Fellow and Lloyds Tercentenary Foundation Fellow
- 2009 - 2011 Junior Research Fellow, St. Catharine's College, Cambridge
- 2011 - University lecturer, Departments of Earth Sciences and Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge
- 2011 - Royal Society University Research Fellow
- 2011 - Official Fellow in physics, St. Catharine's College, University of Cambridge
- solidification of binary alloys and slurries
- interface dynamics on fluid flow in porous media
- high-Rayleigh number porous convection
- coupling fluid flow and elastic deformation
My research focuses on the coupling of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics in multiphase systems within geophysical settings using analytical, numerical and experimental techniques. I explore the fluid dynamics of geological carbon sequestration through experiments and models of propagation and leakage, and am assessing secondary trapping mechanisms such as convective dissolution and residual trapping. In addition, I am interested in the solidification of binary solutions as found in the polar oceans when salt water freezes and in Earth's core, and the growth and form of icicles and stalactites as set by the convective currents surrounding them.
- Golding M.J., Huppert H.E. and Neufeld J.A. (2013) The effects of capillary forces on the axisymmetric propagation of two-phase, constant-flux gravity currents in porous media. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS 25: - MAR 2013.
- Zhao B.Z., MacMinn C.W., Szulczewski M.L., Neufeld J.A., Huppert H.E. and Juanes R. (2013) Interface pinning of immiscible gravity-exchange flows in porous media. PHYSICAL REVIEW E 87: - FEB 19 2013.
- Hewitt D.R., Neufeld J.A. and Lister J.R. (2013) Convective shutdown in a porous medium at high Rayleigh number. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 719: 551-586 MAR 2013.
- Huppert H.E., Neufeld J.A. and Strandkvist C. (2013) The competition between gravity and flow focusing in two-layered porous media. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 720: 5-14 APR 2013.
- Boait F.C., White N.J., Bickle M.J., Chadwick R.A., Neufeld J.A. and Huppert H.E. (2012) Spatial and temporal evolution of injected CO2 at the Sleipner Field, North Sea. J GEOPHYS RES-SOL EA 117: - MAR 13 2012 B03309.
- Hewitt D.R., Neufeld J.A. and Lister J.R. (2012) Ultimate Regime of High Rayleigh Number Convection in a Porous Medium. PHYS REV LETT 108 (22): - MAY 30 2012 224503.
- MacMinn C.W., Neufeld J.A., Hesse M.A. and Huppert H.E. (2012) Spreading and convective dissolution of carbon dioxide in vertically confined, horizontal aquifers. WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH 48: - NOV 13 2012.
Thomson Web of Science ® Citations
- Neufeld J.A., Vella D., Huppert H.E. and Lister J.R. (2011) Leakage from gravity currents in a porous medium. Part 1. A localized sink. J FLUID MECH 666: 391-413 JAN 10 2011.
- Vella D., Neufeld J.A., Huppert H.E. and Lister J.R. (2011) Leakage from gravity currents in a porous medium. Part 2. A line sink. J FLUID MECH 666: 414-427 JAN 10 2011.
- Zimoch P.J., Neufeld J.A. and Vella D. (2011) Leakage from inclined porous reservoirs. J FLUID MECH 673: 395-405 APR 2011.
- Neufeld J.A. and Wettlaufer J.S. (2011) Shear flow, phase change and matched asymptotic expansions: Pattern formation in mushy layers. PHYSICA D 240 (2): 140-149 JAN 15 2011.
- Golding M.J., Neufeld J.A., Hesse M.A. and Huppert H.E. (2011) Two-phase gravity currents in porous media. J FLUID MECH 678: 248-270 JUL 2011.
- Neufeld J.A., Hesse M.A., Riaz A., Hallworth M.A., Tchelepi H.A. and Huppert H.E. (2010) Convective dissolution of carbon dioxide in saline aquifers. GEOPHYS RES LETT 37: - NOV 24 2010 L22404.
- Neufeld J.A., Goldstein R.E. and Worster M.G. (2010) On the mechanisms of icicle evolution. J FLUID MECH 647: 287-308 MAR 25 2010.
- Neufeld J.A., Vella D. and Huppert H.E. (2009) The effect of a fissure on storage in a porous medium. J FLUID MECH 639: 239-259 NOV 25 2009.
- Neufeld J.A. and Huppert H.E. (2009) Modelling carbon dioxide sequestration in layered strata. J FLUID MECH 625: 353-370 APR 25 2009.
- Spannuth M.J., Neufeld J.A., Wettlaufer J.S. and Worster M.G. (2009) Axisymmetric viscous gravity currents flowing over a porous medium. J FLUID MECH 622: 135-144 MAR 10 2009.
- Leahy M.J., Ennis-King J., Hammond J., Huppert H.E. and Neufeld J. (2009) Application of gravity currents to the migration of CO2 in heterogeneous saline formations. ENRGY PROCED 1 (1): 3331-3338 2009.
- Neufeld J.A. and Wettlaufer J.S. (2008) Shear-enhanced convection in a mushy layer. J FLUID MECH 612: 339-361 OCT 10 2008.
- Neufeld J.A. and Wettlaufer J.S. (2008) An experimental study of shear-enhanced convection in a mushy layer. J FLUID MECH 612: 363-385 OCT 10 2008.
- Neufeld J.A., Wettlaufer J.S., Feltham D.L. and Worster M.G. (2006) Flow-induced morphological instability of a mushy layer (vol 391, pg 337, 1999). J FLUID MECH 549: 442-443 FEB 25 2006.