Dr. C.P. Caulfield
Lecturer, BP Institute and DAMTP
Dr Colm-cille P. Caulfield is interested in fluid flows where density
variations play a critical dynamical role. He strives to use a combination
of mathematical modelling, numerical simulation and laboratory experimentation
to understand and quantify fundamental physical processes, particularly when
they are transient in nature.
New Research Opportunity
- 1992-1994: Post-doctoral research fellow for the Japan-Canada Project in Weather and Climate of the Arctic, Department of Physics, University of Toronto
- 1992-1993: Senior Visitor, Department of Engineering Science, Hokkaido University
- 1995-1999: Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Bristol
- 1999-2001: Assistant Professor of Environmental Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Irwin and Joan Jacobs School of Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- 2001-2005: Associate Professor (with tenure) of Environmental Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Irwin and Joan Jacobs School of Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- 2004-2005: Visiting Researcher (Poste Rouge au CNRS) in the Hydrodynamics Laboratory, (LaDyHX) Ecole Polytechnique-CNRS
- 2005-: University Lecturer in Fluid Flow, BP Institute and the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge
- 2005-: Fellow and College Lecturer in Mathematics, Churchill College, University of Cambridge
- 1987 BSc Mathematics, University of Ulster at Coleraine
- 1991 PhD DAMTP, Cambridge
- stratified flows
- turbulent mixing processes
- flow instability and transition
- turbulent plumes
- building ventilation
- bubble dynamics and interaction with turbulence
- Arratia C., Caulfield C.P. and Chomaz J.M. (2013) Transient perturbation growth in time-dependent mixing layers. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 717: 90-133 FEB 2013.
- Shravat A., Cenedese C. and Caulfield C.P. (2012) Entrainment and mixing dynamics of surface-stress-driven stratified flow in a cylinder. J FLUID MECH 691: 498-517 JAN 25 2012.
- Landel J.R., Caulfield C.P. and Woods A.W. (2012) Meandering due to large eddies and the statistically self-similar dynamics of quasi-two-dimensional jets. J FLUID MECH 692: 347-368 FEB 10 2012.
- Balmforth N.J., Roy A. and Caulfield C.P. (2012) Dynamics of vorticity defects in stratified shear flow. J FLUID MECH 694: 292-331 MAR 10 2012.
- van Sommeren D.D.J.A., Caulfield C.P. and Woods A.W. (2012) Turbulent buoyant convection from a maintained source of buoyancy in a narrow vertical tank. J FLUID MECH 701: 278-303 JUN 25 2012.
- Sheen K.L., White N.J., Caulfield C.P. and Hobbs R.W. (2012) Seismic imaging of a large horizontal vortex at abyssal depths beneath the Sub-Antarctic Front. NAT GEOSCI 5 (8): 542-546 AUG 2012.
- Foures D.P.G., Caulfield C.P. and Schmid P.J. (2012) Variational framework for flow optimization using seminorm constraints. PHYSICAL REVIEW E AUG 9 2012.
- Landel J.R., Caulfield C.P. and Woods A.W. (2012) Streamwise dispersion and mixing in quasi-two-dimensional steady turbulent jets. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 711: 212-258 NOV 25 2012.
- Rabin S.M.E., Caulfield C.P. and Kerswell R.R. (2012) Triggering turbulence efficiently in plane Couette flow. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 712: 244-272 DEC 10 2012.
Thomson Web of Science ® Citations
- Coomaraswamy I.A. and Caulfield C.P. (2011) Time-dependent ventilation flows driven by opposing wind and buoyancy. J FLUID MECH 672: 33-59 APR 2011.
- Lombardi M., Caulfield C.P., Cossu C., Pesci A.I. and Goldstein R.E. (2011) Growth and instability of a laminar plume in a strongly stratified environment. J FLUID MECH 671: 184-206 MAR 2011.
- Yamamoto H., Cenedese C. and Caulfield C.P. (2011) Laboratory experiments on two coalescing axisymmetric turbulent plumes in a rotating fluid. PHYS FLUIDS 23 (5): - MAY 2011 056601.
- Sheen K.L., White N., Caulfield C.P. and Hobbs R.W. (2011) Estimating Geostrophic Shear from Seismic Images of Oceanic Structure. J ATMOS OCEAN TECH 28 (9): 1149-1154 SEP 2011.
- Dalziel S.B., Patterson M.D., Caulfield C.P. and Le Brun S. (2011) The structure of low-Froude-number lee waves over an isolated obstacle. J FLUID MECH 689: 3-31 DEC 2011.
- Woods A.W., Caulfield C.P., Landel J.R. and Kuesters A. (2010) Non-invasive turbulent mixing across a density interface in a turbulent Taylor-Couette flow. J FLUID MECH 663: 347-357 NOV 2010.
- Wells M., Cenedese C. and Caulfield C.P. (2010) The Relationship between Flux Coefficient and Entrainment Ratio in Density Currents. J PHYS OCEANOGR 40 (12): 2713-2727 DEC 2010.
- Flynn M.R. and Caulfield C.P. (2009) Effect of volumetric heat sources on hysteresis phenomena in natural and mixed-mode ventilation. BUILD ENVIRON 44 (1): 216-226 JAN 2009.
- Tang W., Caulfield C.P. and Kerswell R.R. (2009) A prediction for the optimal stratification for turbulent mixing. J FLUID MECH 634: 487-497 SEP 10 2009.
- Scase M.M., Aspden A.J. and Caulfield C.P. (2009) The effect of sudden source buoyancy flux increases on turbulent plumes. J FLUID MECH 635: 137-169 SEP 25 2009.
- Bower D.J., Caulfield C.P., Fitzgerald S.D. and Woods A.W. (2008) Transient ventilation dynamics following a change in strength of a point source of heat. J FLUID MECH 614: 15-37 NOV 10 2008.
- Landel J.R., Cossu C. and Caulfield C.P. (2008) Spherical cap bubbles with a toroidal bubbly wake. PHYS FLUIDS 20 (12): - DEC 2008 122101.
- Dalziel S.B., Patterson M.D., Caulfield C.P. and Coomaraswamy I.A. (2008) Mixing efficiency in high-aspect-ratio Rayleigh-Taylor experiments. PHYS FLUIDS 20 (6): - JUN 2008 065106.
- Scase M.M., Caulfield C.P. and Dalziel S.B. (2008) Temporal variation of non-ideal plumes with sudden reductions in buoyancy flux. J FLUID MECH 600: 181-199 APR 10 2008.
- Bolster D. and Caulfield C.P. (2008) Transients in natural ventilation - A time-periodically varying source. BUILD SERV ENG RES T 29 (2): 119-135 2008.
- Scase M.M., Caulfield C.P., Linden P.F. and Dalziel S.B. (2007) Local implications for self-similar turbulent plume models. J FLUID MECH 575: 257-265 MAR 25 2007.
- Flynn M.R. and Caulfield C.P. (2006) Natural ventilation in interconnected chambers. J FLUID MECH 564: 139-158 OCT 10 2006.
- Scase M.M., Caulfield C.P., Dalziel S.B. and Hunt J.C.R. (2006) Time-dependent plumes and jets with decreasing source strengths. J FLUID MECH 563: 443-461 SEP 25 2006.
- Scase M.M., Caulfield C.P. and Dalziel S.B. (2006) Boussinesq plumes and jets with decreasing source strengths in stratified environments. J FLUID MECH 563: 463-472 SEP 25 2006.
- Patterson M.D., Caulfield C.P., McElwaine J.N. and Dalziel S.B. (2006) Time-dependent mixing in stratified Kelvin-Helmholtz billows: Experimental observations. GEOPHYS RES LETT 33 (15): - AUG 15 2006 L15608.
- Tang W., Caulfield C.P. and Young W.R. (2005) Bounds on dissipation in stress-driven flow in a rotating frame. J FLUID MECH 540: 373-391 OCT 10 2005.
- Conroy D.T., Smith S.G.L. and Caulfield C.P. (2005) Evolution of a chemically reacting plume in a ventilated room. J FLUID MECH 537: 221-253 AUG 25 2005.
- Caulfield C.P. (2005) Buoyancy flux bounds for surface-driven flow. J FLUID MECH 536: 367-376 AUG 10 2005.
- Caulfield C.P., Tang W. and Plasting S.C. (2004) Reynolds number dependence of an upper bound for the long-time-averaged buoyancy flux in plane stratified Couette flow. J FLUID MECH 498: 315-332 JAN 10 2004.
- Tang W., Caulfield C.P. and Young W.R. (2004) Bounds on dissipation in stress-driven flow. J FLUID MECH 510: 333-352 JUL 10 2004.
- Woods A.W., Caulfield C.P. and Phillips J.C. (2003) Blocked natural ventilation: the effect of a source mass flux. J FLUID MECH 495: 119-133 NOV 25 2003.
- Peltier W.R. and Caulfield C.P. (2003) Mixing efficiency in stratified shear flows. ANNU REV FLUID MECH 35: 135-167 2003.
- Caulfield C.P. and Woods A.W. (2002) The mixing in a room by a localized finite-mass-flux source of buoyancy. J FLUID MECH 471: 33-50 NOV 25 2002.
- Lee V. and Caulfield C.P. (2001) Nonlinear evolution of a layered stratified shear flow. DYNAM ATMOS OCEANS 34 (2-4): 103-124 OCT 2001.
- Caulfield C.P. and Kerswell R.R. (2001) Maximal mixing rate in turbulent stably stratified Couette flow. PHYS FLUIDS 13 (4): 894-900 APR 2001.
- Caulfield C.P. and Peltier W.R. (2000) The anatomy of the mixing transition in homogeneous and stratified free shear layers. J FLUID MECH 413: 1-47 JUN 25 2000.
- Caulfield C.P. and Kerswell R.R. (2000) The nonlinear development of three-dimensional disturbances at hyperbolic stagnation points: A model of the braid region in mixing layers. PHYS FLUIDS 12 (5): 1032-1043 MAY 2000.
- Caulfield C.P. and Woods A.W. (1998) Turbulent gravitational convection from a point source in a non-uniformly stratified environment. J FLUID MECH 360: 229-248 APR 10 1998.
- CAULFIELD C.C.P. and WOODS A.W. (1995) Plumes with non-monotonic mixing behaviour. GEOPHYS ASTRO FLUID 79 (1-4): 173-199 1995.
- CAULFIELD C.C.P. (1994) MULTIPLE LINEAR INSTABILITY OF LAYERED STRATIFIED SHEAR-FLOW. J FLUID MECH 258: 255-285 JAN 10 1994.
- WOODS A.W. and CAULFIELD C.C.P. (1992) A LABORATORY STUDY OF EXPLOSIVE VOLCANIC-ERUPTIONS. J GEOPHYS RES-SOL EA 97 (B5): 6699-6712 MAY 10 1992.